Thursday, June 26, 2008

He likes his frittata

So last night, the hubs and I had a frittata. I used 4 eggs, a cup of lima beans, a cup of mushrooms, a 1/4 cup parmesean cheese and I sliced an avocado for the top after it cooked. The bottom was very brown, but the top was fuffy and delicious. We polished off the whole thing. With three bites left on his second helping, he says, "did you put lima beans in here?" hee-hee.

I went to bed a little early last night, only reading the prologue and first two chapters of The Golems Eye before I conked off. Dov said he came to bed around 12:30, but I didn't hear it.

Even going to bed so early, I woke up at 5 minutes to 7 and had to rush through breakfast and lunch preparations. I had my usual banana and honey bunches of oats, and had to use the Lactaid milk since I'm out. I'm moving to 1% next time. Although, I've heard about raw milk and have been tempted to try it, since the pasteurization process is what creates the lactose problems and both Dov and I could drink it. He'd probably drink more. Being asian and super thin, I worry about him getting osteoporosis because he doesn't get enough calcium.

For lunch, I had a honey ham sandwich with salad sprouts and lettuce, a little mayo and lots of mustard. I also had a peach and a peach-flavored yogurt. I didn't really look to see what flavor yogurt I grabbed this morning, but it was still pretty good.

Melissa and I walked to the Magic Dragon so she could pick up her lunch and then back to our normal route. Tomorrow, she'll be watching her son's tennis match, so I'll be walking by myself.

For dinner tonight, we bought a flank steak, and last night I chopped up a green onion and a large clove of garlic and put that plus the steak plus two tablespoons of soy sauce, lemon juice and peanut oil in a bag with a half tablespoon of crushed black pepper.

I started up the grill with our Matchlight briquets mixed with regular briquets, which turned out perfectly. I put on a potato for each of us (since we had the yams last week) and made a guacamole dip with avocados and the lemon juice, some grape tomatoes and used the endive and baby carrots instead of chips. I crushed a small clove of garlic into it as well, and realized that's what my guacamole has been missing all these years...so good!

I think I need to go get a book with the carb counts for a wide range of foods, because not all the recipe books I have list the carbs.

Either that, or I need to break out my Cooking Light cookbooks for 1992-1994 again and find some more recipes. They had a really good shepherds pie using cornbread as the topping instead of mashed potatoes. Actually, using sweet potatoes wouldn't be bad either...

Anyway, that's for winter. For now it's anything that can get or keep me out of the kitchen!