Monday, June 23, 2008

What I ate today

So the tone of this blog is about to change...

My hubby and I have been trying to have a baby for almost three years now. We were referred to a fertility clinic two weeks ago.

I have PCOS, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I'm having that diagnosis confirmed, but I'm 99% sure.

I met my doctor 2 weeks ago. The nurses were very nice, but they had to call the nurse practitioner to find a vein to take a blood sample.

They were testing to see if my cycle was coming. They found a cyst on my ovary that they figured had recently released an egg. It wasn't.

I was put on Provera, and my cycle showed up on Friday night. Joy.

Also, last week, I met with a nutritionist, and I'm learning to eat a diabetic diet.

I'm making small changes, and hopefully, I can get a little healthier.

I am writing down what I eat via this blog. Today is my first day to write what I've eaten.

Maybe it's a bad day to do that...because today I had a two hour glucose test.

I showed up at the clinic a few minutes early, and waited for the office to open. The nurse took me back immediately and they started pressing on my inner elbows and wrists to find a good vein. After 20 minutes of digging with the needle, they took one vial from my hand with a syringe. But they needed two vials, so they referred me to a lab.

I didn't get into the room at the lab until 5 minutes before I was supposed to be taking the second blood draw...Did I mention this is a fasting test? Yes, no breakfast, and now it's 9:00.

So they make me run my hands under hot water and pull out two vials of blood. Then they give me a super-sweet orange soda, and I had to wait two hours and have more blood taken out.

After the second blood draw, I ate a beef soft taco from Taco time. With mexi fries and a diet coke.

I had four donut holes as a snack at 4:00. And an apple after our staff meeting at 2:30.

For dinner, I made a tofu stir fry.

After dinner, I had a half a slice of chocolate cake from Whole Foods.

The cake was really good but way too sweet.