Friday, June 27, 2008

My friend Ben

When I lived in Los Angeles, one of my co workers invited us to his house every Monday night to watch Alias. He cooked, and made some really good food. He was always telling people what a great cook he was. We agreed with him.

Until the night he made a salad that featured avocado slices that were hard to spear with a fork. To be fair, the man had a colostomy bag, and did not eat vegetables very often due to the issues they presented upon their exit, so I don't think he ever purchased an avocado before.

So last night when I made guacamole, I cut around the pit of one of the avocados and met considerable resistance. It took quite an effort to get the seed out, so I put that one in a baggie and stuck it in the fridge...

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I tossed the avocado in the lunch bag along with my ham sandwich, nectarine and yogurt. I figured I'd have it with lunch.

Since I was running late, I popped two multigrain waffles into the toaster and made a peanut butter sandwich with them with a drizzle of honey that I ate in the car on the way to work. I washed down my morning handful of vitamins with a 1/2 glass of milk, and rushed out the door. (I don't think I'll be doing this very often, because the fish burps from the Omega3 pill was disgusting. The banana from the cereal hides the flavor more.)

At lunch, I pulled out my sandwich and yogurt,and sprinkled a little salt onto the avocado, and nearly busted the spoon trying to get it out of it's shell. I instantly thought of Ben.

I discovered that only part of the avocado was still hard. The rest was very tasty. (Makes me miss living in Hawaii where the avocado tree grew right next to our dorm and we'd charm the guy from Fiji to climb the tree and pick them for us!)

Tonight, my hubs and I are going to see Wall-E. For dinner, I may do another tofu stir fry, as it's really fast and I want to perfect the recipe I found.

I did notice today that my pants are not snug around the waist. Progress? We shall see.

That's it for Culinary Adventures with Ben for today. Someday I'll tell you about his attempt to grill bacon...